You say casserole, I say hotdish. Wherever you’re from, we know it’s delish!
This Healthy Turkey Rice Hotdish is comfort food with a healthy twist. It’s a perfect quick weeknight meal your family is sure to love! The leftovers taste great, for a fast healthier lunch or dinner warmed up the next day!
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 98% fat free
- 1 cup brown rice, prepared (I use minute rice)
- 1 medium size carrot, peeled and diced
- 1/2 can of sweetcorn
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese (if desired)
- 2 teaspoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 lb ground turkey
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 cup frozen tater tots
- Heat oven to temperature shown on tater tot package. (skip this step for healthiest version)
- Prepare brown rice as direct on box in sauce pan.
- Add ground turkey and diced carrots in different medium frying pan, cook till carrots soften about 3 mins. Drain any excess liquid from the pan. Place pan of drained meat and carrots back on stove. Add diced onion to the pan cooking till transparent. Turn off heat.
- Add prepared brown rice, can of soup, sweetcorn, onion powder, soy sauce, (cheese if desired) salt and pepper to pan with meat mixture. Thoroughly mix all ingredients together.
- Pour mixture into a 9×9 backing pan. Place frozen tater tots on top of mixture.
- Place in oven for time as directed on the tater tot package (about 20 mins). (healthiest version: you can skip the tater tots and eat right away)
- Remove hotdish from oven. Enjoy!
For a not so healthy twist, I like to add cheddar cheese to the mixture or hash browns in the mixture, if I don’t have tater tots.
For the healthier version, skip the tater tots, hash browns and cheese. This option is still delicious! Add more soy souse if desired or my husband likes to eat his with ketchup.