Growing up my family always loved red velvet cake. One year for Christmas, I decided to bake up a few of our family’s favorite treats and gave them as gifts to everyone for Christmas. They all loved them but the red velvet cake balls were a hit especially and have been requested for holidays since. The best part is they’re fun to make and don’t require a lot of ingredients. They’re sure to be a hit at your next holiday gathering or maybe a fun activity for you and your kids to make as a fun Valentine’s Day activity.
1 box red velvet cake mix, and ingredients to make the cake (oil & eggs)
1 can (16 oz) prepared cream cheese frosting
1 lb candying coating, white or dark chocolate
sprinkles for decoration (if desired)
- Bake cake according to the directions on the box. Let cool.
- In a large bowl, break cake apart then mix with the cream cheese frosting until mixed together well.
- Roll cake mixture into 1 inch balls placing onto baking sheets, place baking sheets into the freezer for about 15 mins to let the balls set.
- While the cake balls cool, melt chocolate candy coating in a bowl. Microwaving until melted. Or follow direction on the package.
- Once the cake balls have cooled, coat each ball with the chocolate. Dip each ball into the chocolate using a fork to let any extra chocolate drip off. Once all of the balls have cooled, if desired, sprinkle while chocolate is still melted. Freeze the balls for another 15 mins or until the chocolate coating has set. Enjoy!